Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

A series of time-travelling shorts involving various characters and situations.

Author Notes:

Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the intellectual property of JK Rowling, and the fiscal property of JK Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, and Warner Bros. No profit has been made from this work.

Author’s Note: This one-shot was inspired by AndrewsQuill’s story ‘From the Ashes’, a Harry/Susan Bones fic (by the look of it) where Hermione dies after the battle in the DoM. I’ve nicked the basic concept, ‘cause it’s one I’ve never thought of, tweaked it, and this is it.

Second Author’s Note: A variation on ‘Open Wide the Gates of Time: Harry’. My beta, MagnaMorbius, during one of our many IM chats, once asked me; "Has anyone done a Good!Dark!Dumbledore?" So, we put our heads together (which, oddly enough, made a plank) and figured out that the only one we’d seen was actually one of KafkaExMachina’s drabbles, where Dumbledore uses the Cruciatus on Snape’s Dark Mark, fragging the minds of every Death Eater. So, this is the other version of ‘Open Wide the Gates of Time’, where Dumbledore’s not as much of an arsehole... I know, it’s hard to believe, but them’s the breaks.

Silencio!” cried Hermione and the man’s voice was extinguished. He continued to mouth through the hole in his mask, but no sound came out. He was thrust aside by his fellow Death Eater.

Petrificus Totalus!” shouted Harry, as the second Death Eater raised his wand. His arms and legs snapped together and he fell forwards, face down on to the rug at Harry’s feet, stiff as a board and unable to move.

“Well done, Ha-”

But the Death Eater Hermione had just struck dumb made a sudden slashing movement with his wand; a streak of what looked like purple flame passed right across Hermione’s chest. She gave a tiny “Oh!” as though of surprise and crumpled on to the floor, where she lay motionless.

Hermione!” Harry roared, forgetting everything that was happening around him as he saw her fall. He quickly bolted forward, near-throwing himself to his knees as he looked down at the wet mess that used to be smooth flesh.

He reached out with a shaking hand to her throat, feeling for her carotid artery. For a moment that lasted an eternity, he couldn’t feel anything. He didn’t notice Neville kneeling next to him, reach for the other pulse on Hermione’s neck.

“Dat’s a pulse, Harry...” Neville said after a moment. “I’b sure of it.”

Harry didn’t feel relief, as he expected he would. All he could feel was a mind-numbing, spirit-crushing despair at seeing Hermione casually dropped during the battle. He turned his head slightly, staring at the Death Eater with pure malice.

The Death Eater reached up and tore off his mask, revealing the long, pale, twisted face of Antonin Dolohov. He gestured at Hermione, then at Harry, then at Harry again. Even though he was still silenced, his meaning was clear.

Harry stood, his free hand clenching spasmodically as he stalked forward, intent on ending the scum-sucking dickhead. He was robbed of the chance as Neville managed his first non-verbal spell, sending a weak-but-adequate stunner spell at Dolohov’s maniacally grinning face. He slumped backwards, out of the fight... for now.

Together, Harry and Neville picked up Hermione, having no time to be gentle, as they left the office, meeting up with Ron, Ginny and Luna. Thanks to the actions of the Death Eaters, they ended up in the Veil Chamber, and Harry’s already grief-stricken heart took another blow as Sirius was blasted back through the Veil.


Albus Dumbledore was many things... but a fool wasn’t one of them. True, he was incredibly short-sighted, and he focussed entirely too much on one plan at a time, making him... unprepared to deal with rapidly changing circumstances. And these certainly qualified.

He made his way to Hermione’s slumped body, tapping her robes with his wand to send her straight to the hospital wing.

“Harry... Harry!” He called out, making Harry’s bloodshot eyes lock on hers. “Come on, my boy... we’ll take the Floo back to Hogwarts to check up on Miss Granger.” He helped Harry to the fireplace. “Kingsley!” He called out.

“Headmaster?”

“Please ensure the rest of the students make it back to Hogwarts as quickly as possible.”

With that, Dumbledore and Harry vanished in a blasé of green fire.


Once back at Hogwarts, Harry raced through the corridors as though the hounds of hell were pursuing him. None of it mattered; he had to get Hermione. Dumbledore was running right beside him, somehow managing to keep pace with the man less than a tenth of his age.

They burst through the doors to the hospital wing, nearly tearing the ancient wood from its hinges.

“What the devil-” Pomfrey spluttered as she erupted from her office.

“Hermione...” Harry muttered, seeing her lying on his normal bed. She looked, for lack of a better word, dreadful. She was far too pale, the front of her medical gown shining in the low light with leaked blood.

“H-Harry...” Hermione moaned, trying to smile when she saw him coming in, but dissolving into a pained grimace.

Dumbledore quickly headed over to Pomfrey. “How is she?” He asked, concern leaking into his voice.

Pomfrey leaned closer. “She’s in a bad way, Albus... that spell pierced her heart. Unfortunately, the flesh was badly burned, and I can’t stop the bleeding. She’s dying, Headmaster... she doesn’t have a lot of time left.”

Dumbledore’s grimace was entirely genuine. “What have I done?” He asked himself, feeling every single second of his 163 years. He watched as Harry moved closer, taking her hand as he sat tentatively on the side of the bed. “Hermione...”

“Are you okay?” She asked, looking him up and down.

“Me? I’m... never mind me, Hermione. How’re you?”

“It hurts, Harry.” Hermione whispered, squeezing his hand tightly. “I... I’m sorry, Harry.”

“Why?” Harry noticed his vision growing misty. Confused, he reached up to find his eyes leaking. He was crying? He hadn’t cried since he was four years old...

“I... I should have done b-better.” Hermione whispered plaintively. “I...”

Harry pressed his finger against Hermione’s lips. “Shh... you did very well, Hermione. I’d be dead if it wasn’t for you.” He let his hand slip down slightly, cupping her cheek softly.

Hermione moaned, arching her back slightly as another wave of debilitating pain washed over her. “I... I don’t have long...” She gasped.

“N-No...” Harry said, panic filling his voice. “You can’t l-leave me, Hermione... You can’t...”

“I don’t think I have a choice, Harry.” She whispered back. “I’m dying... I know it...”

“You can’t...” Harry sobbed. “P-Please, Hermione, don’t... don’t leave me... I can’t live without you...”

“You have no choice, Harry...” Hermione said, squeezing his hand tightly. “I-I have to tell you...” She coughed, blood coming from her mouth.

Harry reached up and calmly wiped the blood away. “Hermione, before you do... let me...”

“I k-know, Harry.” She said, staring at his eyes. “You love me.”

“I... do...”

“And I you, my love.” She whispered. “For so long... you must go on, Harry... don’t mourn me...”

“No...” Harry moaned. “Please, H-Hermione... everyone I love leaves me... don’t leave me, please...”

She flailed her free hand for a moment, trying to take a hold of him. “L-last request...”

Harry took her flailing hand, kissing her knuckles tenderly. “Anything, my love.”

“Kiss me, Harry... please... just once... let me feel your lips-” She was cut off as Harry leaned forward, pressing his lips to hers chastely. She moaned slightly, pressing forward before leaning back, opening her eyes slowly. “As good as I thought...”

Hermione Granger, the smartest witch of her generation, died with a small smile on her face and the hand of the man she loved beyond reason held in her own.

Again, the tears prickled up in Harry’s eyes, one slowly making it’s way down his cheek. He felt... a cold, aching numbness in his chest.

Nothing... A thought formed and died in his mind. There’s nothing left... it’s all gone... all of it... He could feel his magic roaring throughout his body, but he didn’t care what it was doing. The hole of Hermione’s death was deep and sharp, making him feel... empty.


Dumbledore was hard pressed to keep tears of his own from making their way down his face. This is all because of me... because of the things that I didn’t do... and should have done. If only I’d told Harry... if only I’d found a way to stop this from happening... A very wrong thought crossed his mind. It’s risky... dangerous and foolish... He was more than a little apprehensive. It’ll mean going back to what I was...

He looked up again, spotting Harry crying into Hermione’s neck, holding her tightly. I’m sorry, Harry... More than you can know. Steeling his resolve, he looked at Pomfrey. “Keep things together here until I get back, Poppy.”

“‘Get back’, Albus?” Poppy asked. “Back from where?”

“That... is a far more interesting question than you might suspect.” Dumbledore said as he strode out of the Hospital Wing.


On his way up the stairs, Dumbledore quickly evaluated a cost/benefit ratio over his planned course of action. This is going to cost me a lot... but it’s worth it, to stop it costing my grandson... He’s not of my blood, but of my love.

A voice broke into his thoughts. It was weak, but still had an underlying strength. You know this is wrong, Albus. What you’re proposing-

Is necessary, Fawkes, my friend. Because of my actions, I’ve cost Harry so much. It’s time to correct that.

And you believe this is the way?

Can you think of anything better?

There was silence as Fawkes contemplated the options. No. He admitted after a few moments. But, if you do this, Albus, I won’t be able to stay with you.

Dumbledore sighed as he mounted the spiral staircase to his office. I understand, old friend.

Unless...

Opening the door, Dumbledore spotted his familiar weakly balancing on his perch, looking more than a little nervous. There is a way... you know what it is.

Dumbledore recoiled. Fawkes, I know what I’m contemplating is wrong, but what you’re suggesting-

Is just as necessary... as you know.

“Fawkes...” Dumbledore muttered aloud. “What you’re asking is to... it’s almost unfathomable.”

It’s the only way I can stay with you, old friend. For more than sixty years, we have fought the good fight together. I wish to continue that, and this is the only way.

“It’s wrong, Fawkes...”

You know that I love you, Albus. I’ve been alive a long time, and you’re the only human I’ve loved. I do not want to leave you. You must bond me to you so that I can stay with you.

You’re suggesting that I use a Dark Art bonding on you... Fawkes, there’s a reason that spell was made highly illegal!

I know... I also know it’s what I want, old friend. Please...

Dumbledore knew that he’d need the help of his phoenix in the mission to come, but what he was asking... “I will do as you ask.” He said heavily, slowly lifting his wand. Taking a deep breath, he dug into his magic, preparing to force a bondage bind on a Phoenix. It was highly illegal, but it was at Fawkes’ request.

As soon as the spell hit the newly-regenerated phoenix, he squawked loudly, writhing as the Dark energies tore through him. He began to grow quickly, painfully, up to his normal size. Instead of his plumage turning it’s normal beautiful red and gold, it slowly turned black, making him look like a massively-oversized raven.

Ah... that feels oddly... good, Albus. Fawkes sent stretching his wings.

“I was never planning on taking you with me, old friend.” Dumbledore said as he tapped his robes with his wand, changing them from a horrendously eye-clashing violet to a pure black.

You need me. You know this.

I agree. Dumbledore thought back. But a bondage bind on a phoenix...

Get over it. Fawkes said, looking at his human. I hope you’re going to do something about that beard.

With a chuckle, Dumbledore nodded, trimming his waist-length beard to a short goatee, pointed at the chin. He quickly trimmed his hair to shoulder length, tying it up into a pony tail.

You look very dashing. Fawkes offered, snickering slightly. I suggest you use the sword.

The Sorting Hat animated as it fell of the shelf, landing neatly on Dumbledore’s desk. “Hello, Headmaster.”

“Adrian.”

“One Sword of Slytherin, coming up.” Adrian offered, scrunching up his face as something ‘clanged’ onto the desk. Dumbledore lifted the hat, revealing the jet-black Sword of Slytherin.

“I feel I should warn you, once you start using this, it will be very difficult to come back from it.” Adrian offered.

“For the Greater Good... of Harry Potter, Adrian, I have no choice.” Dumbledore said, tucking the sword into his waist band. “It is for him that I do this.”

“Going Dark for a boy, Headmaster?” Adrian said, a definite smirk on his face. “What would the papers say?”

“I no longer care.” Dumbledore gently placed the hat back on his shelf. “I have failed that boy too often. Now, I have the opportunity to do something about it. I am not ‘going Dark’... I am simply using all spells in my arsenal.”

“You’re preaching to the converted, Albus.” Adrian replied. “You forget, I’m a thousand years old. I’ve seen Dark, Light and Grey. Using the Dark Arts to save the world? You’re grey... as you always should have been!

Fawkes flapped over, landing on Dumbledore’s shoulder. Avast, my hearty!

Rolling his eyes, Dumbledore raised his wand. “Now... time to see what we can do, old friend...

Open wide the gates of time,

Allow me the darkness to restore my prime,

To the past I must go to save her life,

And give Harry Potter the love of his wife!

Hogwarts began rumbling as the old magicks were called upon, allowing her head to throw off the shackles he’d placed on himself all those decades ago and use all his powers to help mankind. She diverted all her energy into Dumbledore, allowing him the strength he needed. The instant he vanished with a ‘pop’, so did Hogwarts. Time was to be rewritten, the history of things to come skewed.


Dumbledore found himself stood in his office, quickly looking at the clock. Ah, excellent! They’re just arriving at the Ministry now. He dashed to his fireplace, moving far quicker than a man his age should be capable of. “Ministry of Magic!” He shouted, vanishing in a puff of green flame.

He blinked as he entered the Atrium, spotting the children running into the lift. “Bollocks...” He muttered, a mental agreement coming from his phoenix. “Fawkes, would you-” He was cut off as Fawkes teleported the two to the edge of the Department of Mysteries.

Phoenix for Dumbledore? Fawkes sent cheekily.

One day, old friend, that smart-arse of yours is going to get you into trouble.

Perhaps... but not today. Fawkes took off, heading down the corridor like a missile, looking for something to rip, tear and maim. Dumbledore followed, hearing the sounds of battle coming from the other side of the floor. Found ‘em! Fawkes near-shouted. So far, things are going as expected... you’d better get over here, Albus. Harry and Hermione have been separated, and there’s two Death Eaters chasing them.

Dumbledore vanished with a pop. As he reappeared, he was already walking forward, raising wand and sword as he saw Harry and Hermione fighting against Antonin Dolohov and that nameless, faceless Death Eater.

Dolohov raised his wand.

Silencio!” cried Hermione and the man’s voice was extinguished. He continued to mouth through the hole in his mask, but no sound came out. He was thrust aside by his fellow Death Eater.

Petrificus Totalus!” shouted Harry, as the second Death Eater raised his wand. His arms and legs snapped together and he fell forwards, face down on to the rug at Harry’s feet, stiff as a board and unable to move.

“Well done, Ha-”

But the Death Eater Hermione had just struck dumb made a sudden slashing movement with his wand; a streak of what looked like purple flame tore through the air... only to be casually deflected as Dumbledore, but not Dumbledore, stepped from the shadows, flicking his wand and sending the spell ricocheting into the air, where it sizzled impotently on the ceiling.

“Antonin...” Dumbledore said politely, stepping in between the Death Eater and his students. “What a shame it is to see you here.”

Dolohov just cackled silently. He’d been caught, true, but it was by the Muggle-loving old fool. He’d spend a couple of weeks in Ministry custody and then be able to rejoin the Dark Lord.

Avada Kedavra.” Dumbledore intoned smoothly, the green blast erupting from his wand and ending the life of the Death Eater.

Harry’s jaw dropped, followed a second later by Hermione’s, as they watched the ‘Leader of the Light’ kill his opponent. “S-Sir...”

“Ah, Harry.” Dumbledore said, turning round, allowing the students to see the full extent of his changes. “One moment, please.” He quickly used the killing curse on the petrified Death Eater. “Now, I believe we must make haste.”

“You... you killed them...” Hermione said, still clearly in shock.

“Yes, I did.” Dumbledore said shamelessly. “If you know the consequences of allowing that filth to live...” He shook his head. “Come with me.”

The three made their way through the Department of Mysteries, quickly spotting Luna and Ginny hobbling along. “Professor Dumbledore?” Ginny asked, staring at the, frankly disturbing view of her headmaster.

“Miss Weasley... are you well?”

“Er... my ankle’s a bit... banged up.” Ginny said, leaning against the wall heavily.

With a quick flick of his wand, Dumbledore healed the break, using a spell to compress the wound slightly. “Try not to run on it.” He said, before looking at Luna. “Miss Lovegood?”

“I’m fine, sir.” Luna stared at him for a moment. “You’ve gone grey, sir.”

“Yes, I have.” Dumbledore confirmed. “That, however, is a conversation for another time. Where are Misters Longbottom and Weasley?”

“I’b here...” Neville said stumbling along the corridor. “Professor Dubbledore?”

Another flick of his wand healed Neville’s nose, before a third flick summoned Dolohov’s wand from the corpse, which he then presented to Neville. “Use this until we can obtain a proper replacement, Mr. Longbottom.” Dumbledore then raised his wand. “Point Me Ronald Weasley.” After his wand stopped spinning, he took off in that direction, looking like the Pied Piper as the five children followed after him.

“What the hell’s going on?” Ginny asked, looking at Hermione.

“Not a clue.” Hermione said with a shrug. “But, he’s here and he’s fighting... can’t really ask for much more at the moment.”

Fawkes came screaming down the corridor, pursued by three Death Eaters. He spun neatly in mid-air before racing back down the corridor, backed up by his human. He wasn’t afraid of being hurt; after all, he was a phoenix and would be reborn from his ashes, but if he was killed, he’d be useless for the rest of this fight.

Dumbledore quickly sent a wave of killing curses, non-verbally, at the three Death Eaters. Two of them fell to the spells, while the third, Bellatrix Lestrange, managed to duck out of sight and run.

“Professor... you’re killing the Death Eaters...” Ginny pointed out unnecessarily.

“Yes, I am.” Dumbledore said, opening the door to the brain room. He stepped inside, seeing Ron sat by one of the shelves, giggling to himself. “Oh, sweet Merlin... Mr. Weasley!”

Ron’s head snapped up, staring at Dumbledore for a moment before he began giggling again.

Purgio.” Dumbledore muttered, sending a purging spell at Ron, quickly and neatly removing the effects of whatever spell had been cast on him.

Ron stopped giggling, immediately. He shook his head, climbing to his feet. “What the hell happened to me?” He asked, before getting a good look at Dumbledore. “No... never mind that... what happened to you, Headmaster?”

“A fascinating tale, Ronald,” Dumbledore said absently as he looked around, “but most definitely a tale for another time. Come, we must keep moving.” As Dumbledore was speaking, Fawkes re-entered the room, coming in to land on Dumbledore’s shoulder. Ah, Fawkes... how goes it?

Lousy... I only managed to get one.

There are more enemies to confound and slay, my friend. Patience is a virtue.

Fawkes just ‘hmphd’ in Dumbledore’s ear as they began moving again, heading towards the penultimate confrontation of the evening.

“Students, we’re about to go into another combat situation.” Dumbledore said as he led the students into the Veil Room. “Make sure you have adequate cover and use your strongest spells. Reducto, Bombarda and Diffindo would be best. Remember, they won’t be throwing tickling charms at you. I suggest you return the favour.”

Hermione gasped as she realised that the ‘Leader of the Light’ was telling the students to ‘shoot to kill’. “Sir!”

Dumbledore turned, his eyes crinkled in annoyance. “Miss Granger, think of it this way; who should walk out of here alive? Innocent students or murderous thugs?”

“S-Students...” She muttered quietly. “Sir, don’t you think-”

“Not any more.” Dumbledore said firmly. “Miss Granger, we must all do whatever is necessary to protect those we love and care for.” He glanced at Harry, making Hermione’s eyebrow shoot up. “You know this to be true... in your heart.”

“Y-Yes, sir.” Hermione said, tentatively reaching down and taking Harry’s hand in her own. He blushed slightly but didn’t try to pull away.

“Now...” Dumbledore gestured the students to cover as he stood in the centre of the room, his eyes locked onto the doorway. “Let us see where events take us...”

Dumbledore had less than a minute to wait as the Death Eaters burst into the room, wands drawn. He was pleased to note that there were only seven of them, thanks to his efforts earlier. He began firing spells, not AKs for the moment, but enough nasty spells to make the get behind cover.

And... cue the Order... Fawkes thought, hovering near the ceiling as he spotted for his human. The bright white smoke trails of apparition announced the arrival of Sirius, Tonks, Remus, Shacklebolt and Moody, each of them quickly ducking behind cover and firing spells.

Sirius made his way cautiously to where the students were hiding, spotting the Dumbledore lookalike fighting with unparalleled ferocity. He grabbed Harry in a fierce hug tightly, seeing Hermione’s hand held tightly in his own. “Hey, pup. How’re you?”

Harry snorted. “I’ve had a bloody odd evening, Padfoot.” He said softly. “I... Is it me or has Dumbledore totally changed the plot?”

“It ain’t you, pup...” Sirius said, watching Dumbledore casually striking down the Death Eaters. “I should really go and help-”

“Stay down!” Dumbledore roared, not looking over. “This is my fight! Where is your coward of a master, Bellatrix?”

Bellatrix Lestrange was bleeding heavily from multiple wounds, but her pride was still at full strength. “You dare to call the Dark Lord a coward, old man?”

“I do.” Dumbledore confirmed, sending a full-power Cruciatus at her, making her writhe and scream. “Just like you...”

Bellatrix began crawling, trying to get away from Dumbledore’s intense torture curse. She was halfway towards the doorway when it slammed open, revealing... another Dumbledore? This one was clad in the characteristically horrendous purple robes.

The other Dumbledore looked up in shock, seeing another version of himself torturing one of the Death Eaters... then he saw nothing as a stunning charm robbed him of consciousness.

The momentary lapse in concentration was all Bellatrix needed to make a break for freedom, the Cruciatus losing strength for a fraction of a second. She began running, heading for the relative safety of the Atrium.

Dumbledore quickly tied up the rest of the Death Eaters, infecting each of them with an overpowered flesh-rotting curse. It would take almost an hour for them to die, and best of all; it was unstoppable. He headed over to his past self, reaching up to his temple, pulling out a memory strand which he dropped onto the other Dumbledore’s forehead. The strand wriggled for a moment before sliding down, heading straight for the ear.

That done, Dumbledore drew the Sword of Slytherin from his belt and set off in pursuit of Bellatrix. When he got to the door, he stopped for a moment, before turning. “Harry, Hermione, Sirius... you should come along, too.”

The three got up, dashing across the chamber and into the corridor as Dumbledore ran after the mad-dog that was Bellatrix Lestrange.


Bellatrix raced through the corridors as though the hounds of hell were pursuing her. She’d heard of Dumbledore’s power, of course, just like everyone who was born in Wizarding Britain over the last five decades, and she’d heard the pitiful rumours that stated that Dumbledore was the only wizard her master was afraid of... she could certainly put some proof behind those rumours now.

As she entered the atrium, she felt a pang of relief as she saw one of the many Floo fireplaces already lit. All she needed to do was dash inside and call out her dest-

Her thoughts stopped as another Cruciatus impacted her, throwing her to the ground. Using the last of her weakening strength, she turned to see Dumbledore, with Potter, his Mudblood and the Blood Traitor watching.

“I didn’t say you could leave.” Dumbledore said sternly, not allowing his concentration to waver at all. “Instead, I really must insist that you die.”

“What’s this?” Another voice called out, drawing Harry’s, Hermione’s and Sirius’ attention. Lord Voldemort was stood near the Fountain of Magical Brethren, staring at the almost unbelievable sight of the Leader of the Light torturing someone. “You appear to have fallen off your pedestal, old man.”

Dumbledore stared at Bellatrix for a moment, before he broke the curse, casually sending a Killing Curse at her. Bellatrix slumped and died, allowing Dumbledore to turn his full attention to Voldemort.

“It was foolish of you to come here tonight, Tom.”

“Oh?” Voldemort raised a mocking, hairless eyebrow at Dumbledore. “Are you going to try and arrest me, old man?”

“No.” Dumbledore said, raising the Sword of Slytherin. “I’m planning to kill you.”

That shocked Voldemort. “You, Dumbledore? Aren’t you the Leader of the Light?”

“I’m the man who’s gonna take you down, Tom.” Dumbledore said, staring with pure hatred at Voldemort. “You should learn to pay more attention to your surroundings.”

Fawkes, who’d discretely made his way behind the despotic monster, raced forward, his talons razing through the top of Voldemort’s head. Instantly, the despot started bleeding black blood, feeling a malevolence from the all-black phoenix that was unnatural.

“We shall fight now, Tom.” Dumbledore said, sending a barrage of five Killing Curses at his nemesis.


Three floors below, the Dumbledore in purple woke up, feeling outrage at being casually stunned. He stopped when the memory that had been dropped into his mind worked its way through his subconscious, slowly assimilating itself with his own mind.

My god... Dumbledore slowly stood up, thinking furiously. What have I done? What have I cost? He watched the rest of the memory, where his future self decided to unleash all his powers, and made the same decision. Very well... it’s time to be what I should always have been. He turned and began to run, heading up for the confrontation in the atrium. He had work to do...


Voldemort dived to the side, dodging the killing curses with only inches to spare. He sent back his own curse, not able to cast as fast as the old man. He never noticed the follow up barrage of bone-breaking hexes that came his way, turning his left shoulder and several of his ribs to powder, prompting him to scream.

Dumbledore conjured Fiend-Fyre, imbuing it into the shape of a phoenix, which surrounded Fawkes. I will detonate inside him, Albus. Fawkes offered. Because of the bondage bind and a selfless sacrifice, I won’t regenerate... I love you, my human.

With a nod, and a slow tear down his cheek, Dumbledore agreed. I will miss you, old friend.

You won’t... neither of us exist in this time. We are anachronisms... the other you and the other me will still be able to fight.

Then I shall see you on the next great adventure, old friend.

Fawkes nodded, racing forward at the centre of a Fiend-Fyre pyre, heading straight for Voldemort. The Dark Lord saw him approaching, and tried to move, but space in the atrium was limited. He screamed when he felt the razor sharp beak of the phoenix impact his chest, exploded with all the force of Light and Dark, Fiend-Fyre surrounding him.

Dumbledore gasped as the explosion tore into his magical core. He hadn’t known that the bondage bind would have that effect on him. Feeling his strength waning, Dumbledore looked over to see his other self race into the atrium. “Protect him...” He dropped to his knees, coughing up blood.

Voldemort tried to apparate away, only to find himself too weak. It was time for plan B to go into effect...


Harry gasped as something began to penetrate his mind. It was evil, malevolent and oddly familiar. Hermione took his hand, staring at him in concern as he collapsed onto his back, gasping pathetically.

“Kill him...” The weak voice of Voldemort came from Harry’s mouth. “Mudblood... Black... Dumbledore... if you wish me to die, kill the boy...”

Dumbledore snorted. “As if, Tom.” He glanced over at his fallen self, realising that there was still a little fight left in him. “Together?”

Dark!Dumbledore nodded, wheezing slightly. Together, the two wizards raised their wands, casting an exorcism spell on Harry. For a moment, the two fought the spirit, feeling it become more entrenched as it tried to fight back.

An overwhelming wave of love washed over Harry as Hermione pressed her lips to his, blushing brightly. Sirius took his hand, muttering about his feelings for his godson.

Harry, boosted by the spells from the two Dumbledores, not to mention the raw power of his love for Hermione, fought back. His scar began to bleed angrily, before a black mass erupted, falling to the floor impotently, before bursting into flame.

Dumbledore looked over at his Dark counterpart, seeing him pass away. With a casual flick, he transfigured the body into a small action figure, before he summoned it to hand and thrust it into his pocket. That would certainly lead to far too many questions...

Voldemort wheezed as he tried to rise. “You...” He coughed, spitting out a glob of black blood. “What have you done?”

Around them, the fireplaces flared up, Ministry personnel flooding through as they only now responded to the massive waves of magic that had occurred.

Dumbledore allowed himself to smirk evilly. “Two down, Tom.” He said, raising his wand. “How many left, I wonder?”

Eyes wide in shock, Voldemort gathered every ounce of his strength and apparated away, leaving behind his right leg.

With a frown of distaste, Dumbledore vanished the mess, before he turned back to Harry. “Are you okay, Harry?”

“Yeah...” Harry sat up, coughing. “What the hell was that?”

“I’ll tell you as soon as we get back to Hogwarts.” Dumbledore said, looking round the atrium. I’m expect the Ministry personnel will want an explanation... and I have something to do.” The instant he spotted the coward that masqueraded as the Minister, he strode forward, rearing back and slugging the incompetent little glob of sputum.

“Wha...” Fudge gripped his jaw, looking up in shock at Dumbledore.

“Now do you believe me?” Dumbledore roared, looking angrier than ever. “I told you... I told you that he was back! Now you’ve seen it with your own eyes!”

Several Aurors were glancing around the atrium, spotting the notorious criminal Sirius Black stood there. “Sir!” Dawlish shouted. “Sirius Black!”

“Arrest him!” Fudge shouted, seeing a way out of the political disaster that was sure to come.

“Freeze!” Dumbledore roared. “Sirius Black is under the protection of the House of Dumbledore, Fudge. I can assure you, he’s going nowhere. I have proof of his innocence.”

Fudge looked up. “He’s not innocent!”

“I tire of your stupidity, Fudge!” Dumbledore slapped the Minister’s face twice. “I challenge you to a duel of honour, Fudge. To the death. You have impugned my honour for the last year, and I demand satisfaction.”

Amelia Bones stepped forward. “Enough of this.” She commanded sharply. “Professor Dumbledore, unfortunately, we can’t allow the Minister of Magic to duel in this precarious time.” She began to smirk. “I’m calling for an immediate vote of no-confidence in the little shit. As soon as he’s ousted from office, he’s all yours.”

“Thank you.” Dumbledore replied, nodding respectfully at her. “With regards to Sirius Black, he is under my protection until a trial can be arranged.”

“So noted... Headmaster.”

“Thank you again.” He turned to glance at Harry. “Now, Madam Bones, I really must return my students to school. This has been a trying evening for us all.”

“Of course, Headmaster. Your authorisation to make Portkeys has been restored, retroactive to this morning.”

“You have my gratitude, Amelia.” Dumbledore summoned a long piece of wood from the floor, turning it into a Portkey with practiced efficiency. “I would like it if we could arrange a time tomorrow morning to cover as much as we can. Would you be able to come to Hogwarts?”

“Of course.”

“Then we shall continue this conversation tomorrow morning.” Dumbledore gestured to the students and Sirius. “Please take this to my office. I shall gather the rest of the students and Portkey them straight to the Hospital Wing. Then, I shall return to my office, and we shall have a long overdue conversation.”

Harry took the Portkey, eyeing Dumbledore curiously before he held it out to Hermione and Sirius, vanishing instantly.


Harry landed on the floor, groaning as Hermione landed on him (which, under the circumstances, wasn’t that unpleasant) until Sirius flopped onto the pair of them.

After getting up, Sirius helped Harry and Hermione to their feet, before pushing them onto the couch and slumping onto a chair. For a moment, silence reigned as each of them took a few seconds to contemplate the events of the evening.

“Well...” Sirius said, before trailing off.

“It’s been a bloody weird night.”

“Hermione!” Harry said, shocked at her profanity.

“Get over it, Harry.” Hermione said. “What the hell was that? Two Dumbledores, one of them using Dark Arts casually, killing the Death Eaters, telling us to do the same... I think I’m allowed to swear tonight.”

Dumbledore appeared in the office, landing lightly as he casually tossed the small stone he’d used as a Portkey into his waste bin. “Indeed, Miss Granger. Now, do any of you require a visit to Poppy before we begin speaking?”

“No, sir.” Harry said, “But, we all have questions.”

“As you should.” Dumbledore said. “Under different circumstances, I would not answer them. But after the events of tonight... I think we have no choice. First, I would like to explain my actions this year, then this evening, and then you may ask any questions that you wish.”

Harry glanced at Hermione, who nodded, then as Sirius, who shrugged. “Very well, Headmaster.”

Dumbledore sat down behind his desk, summoning a bottle of brandy and four glasses. “Normally, I wouldn’t encourage underage students to drink, but I think we will all require one by the end of our conversation.

Sirius stood, taking hold of a glass and holding it out. Dumbledore half-filled the glass before pouring himself one. The two men took a sip, appreciating the fine taste of brandy, before Dumbledore began.

“Approximately sixteen years ago, I was interviewing Sybil Trelawney for a position of Divination Professor. The meeting was held in Hogsmeade, as I believed that letting her into the castle would cause... complications.”

Hermione’s eyes narrowed as she thought. “You believed if she was in the castle, it could be difficult to get her to leave?”

“I believed so, yes.” Dumbledore nodded. “To be perfectly frank, before that night, I never really held the ‘art’ of Divination in high regard. It isn’t really a subject that can be taught. You either have a gift or you don’t. However, for those with the gift, they do require training. So, it was necessary to have a Professor. During the interview, she gave a prophecy. It stated, ‘The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...’”

Harry blinked as the meaning washed over him. “It was me... me or Neville, right?”

“Correct. So, I immediately notified the Potters and the Longbottoms about this, telling them to go into hiding. I proposed the use of the Fidelius charm, since it’s unbreakable under ideal circumstances.”

“The ‘right circumstances’ being not trusting a rat.” Sirius snarked as he took another swig of brandy.

“Indeed.” Dumbledore nodded. “I was not privy as to who was Secret Keeper. At the time, I believed it to be Sirius. I was invited to Godric’s Hollow to visit on several occasions. James and Lily had a piece of parchment with the secret on it, and I didn’t recognise the handwriting. When James and Lily were killed...”

Dumbledore sighed, taking a sip of his drink. “At the time, I believed it essential to get Harry to a position of safety. Since I, along with everyone else, believed that Sirius was the Secret Keeper,” He turned to Sirius, “I couldn’t allow you to take Harry. That left only his blood relative, Petunia Dursley. I... I had Hagrid bring you to Surrey, and left you on the doorstep with a letter.”

“You... you left a baby on a doorstep?” Hermione squealed angrily. “How could you? He could have crawled away... been attacked by a wild animal, anything!”

“I am aware of that, Miss Granger.” Dumbledore said heavily. “Have you ever heard the phrase ‘power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely’?”

Hermione nodded.

“I hold three of the most powerful positions in British Magical Society. I am the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, making me able to influence politics and laws. I am the Supreme Mugwump of the ICW, which allows me to influence international politics, across the whole world. And I am the Headmaster of one of the foremost schools of magic in the world. Put simply, I began to believe the hype that was thrust on me.”

“And now?” Harry asked, feeling anger begin to pump through his veins.

“And now, I’ve had some sense knocked into me.” Dumbledore said. “I intend to resign my position on the Wizengamot and the ICW, and step down as Headmaster. I intend to take a teacher’s position here, allowing me to focus on what I enjoy without the temptations of power.”

“Oh...”

“So, I left you at the Dursleys. I realise now what a mistake that was. When you arrived here five years ago, I knew you’d suffered. Suffering that was my fault. Instead of using the brains god gave a goose, I continued to return you to that abusive environment, year after year.”

“Yes, you did.” Harry said emotionlessly.

“There’s more, Harry.” Dumbledore said, taking a long swallow of brandy. “At the end of your first year, you asked me why Voldemort came after you. Do you remember?”

“I remember you telling me I was too young to know.” Harry groused lightly.

“Yes... I did. That was only partially the truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “Once you became aware of your destiny, I honestly didn’t believe you’d be strong enough to face Voldemort. I considered it my duty to ‘harden’ you to your destiny.”

“I see.” Harry was again emotionless. Hermione, on the other hand, had a few choice phrases to share.

“How dare you?” She roared. “You... you... you evil old man! Do you have any idea what you’ve done to him?”

“Yes.” Dumbledore said firmly. “And that is why I have to finish, Miss Granger. Believe me, I will relate all of my sins to you this evening.” He waited until Hermione nodded before continuing. “Your second through fourth years run along a similar vein; I believed that each of your ‘adventures’ were suitable training, allowing you to learn just enough to face Voldemort, but not enough to survive the battle.”

“Albus, I’m not sure I can listen to any more of this.” Sirius said, feeling an overwhelming urge to reach for his wand. “You’re... how could you?”

“At the time, I believed it to be necessary. I couldn’t defeat Voldemort, so nobody else would be able to, either. My... arrogance was profound.”

“I’ll say.” Sirius said, keeping hold of the hilt of his wand.

“There’s more... and it relates to Snape.”

Hermione cocked her head. “Not Professor Snape, sir?”

“I...” Dumbledore sighed. “Voldemort found out about part of the prophecy. He was spying on me when Sybil gave me the prophecy. He immediately ran to Voldemort and told him what he overheard. It can be solidly rested on Severus’ shoulders that Voldemort targeted the Potters.”

Sirius was on his feet in an instant. “I’ll kill him!”

“Sit down!” Dumbledore roared, making Sirius sit, instantly. After a moment, he continued. “It is not your place to deal with Severus. It is mine. And I will.”

“Why...” Harry felt hot tears prickling at the back of his eyes. “All this time... I was a slave at the Dursleys... you paid him... and he’s been abusing students...”

Dumbledore nodded. “Yes. I allowed him to be... unpleasant to the students to maintain his cover as a Death Eater. He convinced me that he was truly turning his back on Voldemort and wanted to spy.”

“This...” Hermione shook her head, wiping away her own tears as she grabbed Harry’s hand. “Sir, do you know what you’re admitting?”

“Yes, I do.” Dumbledore said, focussing on the subject at hand. “Ever since last summer, I’ve been ignoring you, Harry. The reason for this is that I was scared of you. Your connection to Voldemort has been growing ever since he used your blood in his resurrection ceremony last year. Voldemort is an accomplished Legilimens, and I feared that he’d be able to use you as a conduit to me. My fear stopped me from speaking to you and telling you what you needed to know.”

Harry was nearly in shock at the revelations.

“Now for the... events of this evening. Miss Granger, you remember when you had the time turner?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I told you that you must not be seen. Time turners are incapable of creating a paradox. However, there are other ways of travelling in time. That other copy of me time-travelled after the disaster in the Department of Mysteries.”

“What disaster?” Sirius asked.

“Both you and Miss Granger died in battle.” Dumbledore said bluntly. “Sirius, you were knocked through the veil by Bellatrix, while Miss Granger, that flame whip from Dolohov would have nearly sliced you in half. My future self decided that was unacceptable and travelled back in time, intent on changing it.”

“How do you know?” Harry asked.

“When he was leaving the Death Room, do you remember he dropped a memory strand on my forehead?”

“Yeah.”

“That was his memories of this evening, from his point of view. I knew that I could not allow that to happen again. Like him, I will use whatever spells are in my power to protect you. Including the Dark Arts.”

Silence reigned. Harry cleared his throat. “So... what happens now?”

“Originally,” Dumbledore said, “my plan was for you to return to the Dursleys for at least half of the summer. However, I believe you would be better served at Headquarters with Sirius.”

“Sir?”

“You will need training, Harry... training I should have started giving you five years ago. I’ve been a fool. I want to try and correct that.”

“Oh...”

“I believe that a training schedule, lasting for most of the holidays should be drawn up, teaching you the most powerful combat magicks I know. There’s also several missions that will need to be undertaken, and I would like to have both of you present in Order meetings. Your point of view can only be an asset.”

Harry stared at him.

“One thing I will not do, Harry, is tell you where to go. I am aware that the revelations of tonight will not doubt infuriate you. I understand and accept that.” He held up a hand, seeing Harry about to speak. “I do not want your forgiveness, Harry. Instead, I would like to earn my redemption. I have wronged you. I would like the opportunity to make it back up.”

“Do you really think you can?” Hermione asked.

“No.” Dumbledore said candidly. “That will not, however, stop me from trying.”

“I’ll try, Headmaster.” Harry said diplomatically.

“That is all I ask, Harry.” Dumbledore stood up, flicking his wand at himself, turning his robes black and trimming his hair. “Sirius, would you come with me, please? I believe the two of us should have a conversation with Severus.”

Sirius headed for the door, stepping through, Dumbledore right behind him. Just before he closed the door, Dumbledore stuck his head back round. “Oh, Harry? Hermione?”

The two teens looked up. “Yes, sir?”

“You both love each other, you know. Do me a favour? Admit it to each other.” With a grin, Dumbledore withdrew his head, before putting it back round. “Another favour? Don’t wipe it off on my cushions.” Dumbledore closed and sealed the door, holding up his hand to stop Sirius from moving. After a moment, he heard Hermione’s breathy, “Oh, Harry...” followed by a moan.

“You know... you frighten me sometimes...” Sirius said as he led the way down the stairs.


Once inside the dungeons, Dumbledore casually bound Snape in unbreakable ropes before throwing him onto a chair.

“Headmaster?” Snape looked confused. “What are you doing?”

“It’s question and answer time, Severus.” Dumbledore said, rooting through the shelves in Snape’s private cupboard. “Ah, excellent.” He withdrew a small vial, filled with a clear liquid.

Snape began squirming as he realised just what the Headmaster had picked up. “Sir, what are you-” He stopped speaking as Sirius grabbed hold of his head, prising his jaw open.

Six drops later, Snape’s eyes glazed over.

“Now, Severus... shall we have a conversation?”

“Yes.”

“Who are you loyal to?”

“The Dark Lord.”

“Why did you allow me to believe that you were my spy?”

“Because my Lord commanded me to, and you’re an old fool.”

“Indeed... indeed. Was anything you told me true?”

“Yes.”

“What?”

“The Dark Lord wasn’t planning on killing Lily.”

“Why not?”

“Because I asked him to spare her for me.”

“What?” Sirius frowned, squeezing Snape’s jaw painfully. “Explain! Now!

“I asked the Dark Lord to allow me to keep the Mudblood as a sex-toy. Had she followed his commands, she would still be alive.”

“Sirius, stop!” Dumbledore commanded, waving his wand to push Sirius back. “I understand your desire to kill him, but there are still questions to be answered.”

“Ask them quickly.” Sirius said through gritted teeth. “I have limited patience.”

“I will.” Dumbledore turned back to Snape. “Have you been providing information to Voldemort about the Order of the Phoenix?”

“Naturally. He is my master.”

“And when I asked you to teach Harry Occlumency, did you?”

“Not at all. It was a chance for revenge against James Potter.”

“James Potter’s been dead for fifteen years, Severus. What could you hope to gain by torturing his son?”

“He’s a Potter... they’re all guilty of something.”

“Only one more question, Severus.” Dumbledore said, raising his wand. “Are you prepared to die?”

“I have been ever since I accepted the mark.”

“Good. Avada Kedavra.” Dumbledore watched impassively as a man he once considered a friend die. Another flick of his wand transfigured him into a match, which he struck against the side of the bench, allowing it to burn out. He dropped it to the floor, grinding it into dust with his boot.

“You know... you’re definitely a lot more intimidating now.” Sirius said, his normally pale face even whiter.

“You stand with Harry.” Dumbledore said in a clipped voice. “As long as you remain there, you have nothing to fear from me. Now, let us return to my office. I just hope they’ve exercised some self-control.”


Upon his entrance, Dumbledore was forced to suppress snickers as Hermione quickly rebuttoned her blouse. Harry was blushing brightly, but there was a gleam to his eye that hadn’t been there before.

“Harry...” Dumbledore knelt down, holding his wand across his palms. “I would like to pledge myself to you. I, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, hereby swear my life to supporting Harry Potter and Hermione Granger/Potter in the upcoming war. I will train them to the fullest of my abilities and will keep no information from them. As I swear, so mote it be.”

He flashed for a moment, before standing. “Now... I believe you and Miss Granger should continue your... conversation. Please ensure you use appropriate contraception. Good evening.”

As Harry and Hermione fled, Sirius chuckled rustily. “I suppose I’d better get to work on cleaning up the hovel.”

“Take as many elves as you need from Hogwarts.” Dumbledore offered. “And kill that rodent you have working for you at the moment.”

Sirius blinked.

“He betrayed you, Sirius, not to mention the rest of the Order. I intend to make sure we do not lose this war.”

“Aye...” Sirius took his leave and Floo’d away, leaving Dumbledore alone with his thoughts.

Harry, Hermione... I know that I’ve betrayed you both by my actions. This time, I will not mess it up again. He knew that there was nothing they couldn’t face... together. And he’d do everything in his power to make sure they stayed that way.

  • Previous
  • Next